When is an Office a Bedroom?August 20th 2018
Before you buy or sell, best to check what is being described as 'a bedroom'
Did you know that there is a prescribed minimum standard for a bedroom in a house in New Zealand? That it must;
- Have a minimum width of 1.8 metres
- Have an area of not less than 6 square metres
- Have a height from finished floor to finished ceiling of at least 2.1 metres in an existing house (as at 1975), or 2.4 metres in a new house
- Have at least one window situated in an external wall to admit adequate light
- The aggregate area of glass in the windows must not be less than one-tenth of the floor area of the room
- Windows with an area of not less than one-twentieth of the floor area must be able to be opened to allow air circulation, or in accordance with local authority requirements.
In calculating the area of a bedroom, any part of the room with a finished floor to finished ceiling height of less than 1.5 metres must be excluded.*
*Housing Improvement Regulations 1947 - New Zealand Legislation
GUIDE TO SELLING YOUR PROPERTY
Before you put your house on the market, it's important to know your competition, the market and to make sure your house is looking its best.
The art of presenting a property for sale is an important one to master. Presentation is often the reason that two properties that appear the same on paper, sell for vastly different prices.
Download our expert guide to selling your property.